Freeform should brace for this sci-fi show to go ‘Beyond’ any expectations.
Although it’s his first time at NYCC as the lead of a show, Burkely Duffield seems like an old pro. He’s charismatic, charming, and completely comfortable fielding questions on the fly. His new show Beyond is set to air January 2nd, 2017 on Freeform. Beyond is about Holden (played by Burkely), a young man who wakes up from a coma after 12 years and discovers new abilities that propel him into the middle of a dangerous conspiracy.
We were fortunate enough to catch up with Burkely, along with Executive Producer David Eick, where they chatted about the show, guilty pleasures, and even what they’d be doing at NYCC if they could come in cosplay!
1) We asked Burkely if he could give us any kind of teaser or spoiler for the upcoming show. While we were hoping for some breaking news, we got a fun sneak peak into the world of Beyond. Expect a large sci-fi element. Yes, sci-fi. Ya see, Holden isn’t just a normal young man. Burkely shared that, “one of the biggest sci-fi elements is actually Holden’s powers!” We’re very much into the super power realm and who doesn’t love cool powers?
2) Netflix and chill. No, seriously. Since we’re TV After Dark, we love to know what the stars of our favorite shows like to do After Dark! What does Burkely like to do? Watch a Movie of course. “I’m a big movie guy!” He doesn’t care where his movie fix comes from as long as he can relax and pop in a movie.
3) If you’re at a comic con, watch out for Iron man! You never know who could be behind the mask! Why you ask? We asked Burkely what cosplay he’d come to comic can as if he could. His answer? “If I could construct something big and elaborate, I think that would be super cool!” As for some insight into his character, Burkely thinks Holden would, “bring it back to basics. So I think maybe like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle.”
4) EP David Eick has a much different idea of what Burkely’s Beyond character, Holden would cosplay as. “I think he’d come as the giant beast from Return of the Jedi that absorbs you when you fall in to it.” Hmm, we’re going to have to side with Brantley on this one!
5) David’s guilty pleasure is really boring… according to him. “Making myself a hot mocha coffee. I know that’s really boring, but that’s what I do now.” We don’t know about you, but we think any guilty pleasure is acceptable.
Although our time with the cast and creators for Freeform’s Beyond was brief, it made us even more excited for the premiere episode! If you’re into sci-fi, drama, and interesting characters: