At The CW day at the TCA Winter Tour 2015 The Vampire Diaries and The Originals had a joint panel at the Langham Huntington Hotel & Spa in Pasadena, CA. (Jan 11) Executive producer of both supernatural hit series, Jule Plec, was accompanied by showrunners, Caroline Dries of The Vampire Diaries and Michael Narducci of The Originals. Series stars, Ian Somerhalder (Damon) and Joseph Morgan (Klaus) also attended to represent their shows and let’s face it, a little eye candy is always nice. Below are some spoilers on what’s to come on TVD and it was also announced TVD hasa been renewed for a seventh season and The Originals a second.
“Thank you all for coming and wasting your time with us.” – Ian
Joseph explains why Klaus and Damon do bad things and Ian says, “It’s ill-intent, but for righteous reasons, We’re trying. Damon’s trying.”
Julie agrees that being evil can be cathartic and says that it’s the same for the writers. She says the best revenge is taking out passive aggressive annoyances on the page.
Julie reveals she and Kevin Williamson came up with a perfect ending to TVD. They stuck to that for many years, but now the show has gone on longer and shares that they’re still on the same path, but it’s evolved. Ian says, “Well that could not have been more evasive,” and then he commends the writers for what they do. “I just wanted to take a second to appreciate these three people up here who continue to give us these stories every week,” he says. “It blows my mind what you guys do.” – Ian.
Ian and Joseph agree the audience is very involved with both shows on social media. Julie commends Ian and Joseph both use social media for good. Ian for environmental causes and Joseph for his book club. Both Ian and Joseph like the passion of the fans and Julie adds, “It’s kinda double-edged sword.”
- Julie was thinking if she’d change anything and she reveals she likes the arcs they’ve done and says she’d do it all the same. Caroline adds that because fans are so polarized that you can’t please all of them otherwise the show would be “gobbledygook.”
- “It’s like doing the biggest play you’ve ever done. You’re seeing audience response” – Ian on live tweeting during episodes.
- “Our jobs as writers and performers are to create the best stories that we can.” says Narducci says about not paying fan service. “It is very tempting and new for us to be able to watch an episode and, in real time, see people’s responses.” – Caroline.
- Julie says that they have thick documents and story bibles, but “the dumbest things will get by us” that she’s noticed in post-production that have broken with the show’s mythology: “I get so mad at myself.”
“From the actors standpoint as well, there is a lot of mythology, but in the heart… this is a story about people. It was a story about relationships. It was about this town,” Ian says, noting that this season has been about getting back to the people.
Caroline says that the main through line will continue to be learning more about The Gemini Coven. Kai has now absorbed all of Mystic Falls’ magic and he wants to Merge with Jo. She also reveals lots of drama and death coming.
- Julie shares Damon and Elena are “finally working their way back towards each other and trying to reach a happy stasis.” And Caroline adds “We get to see part of the relationship that we didn’t get to see the first time around,” saying we’ll see some of the four months skipped at the beginning of season 5.
- Julie is directing an episode of TVD this season.”Finally I realized that in a lifetime you’re lucky if you get one series on the air that lasts six, seven, eight years,” she says and to have this opportunity may not come along.
- Ian is directing an episode after Julie and is prepping to direct starting this Tuesday. “It’s the coolest directing experience ever,” he says and recalls his rush to Vegas to audition. “It’s really exciting. Hope I don’t screw it up!” and thanks Julie and the producers for the chance to direct.
- “You don’t typically get to see Damon in a space and time where he’s truly happy,” Ian. Elena too even though she tries. He adds, “They’re very deserving of it,” Ian on Damon and Elena’s happiness. “Love trumps all, so when you see love, you want it to win,” -Ian..