The highs and lows of Orphan Black season 3 just in time for season 4
Previously on Orphan Black- “We all have our parts to play – me, Sarah, Alison – but yours is to cure yourself and all of your sisters,” Delphine (Evelyne Brochu) painstakingly admits to girlfriend Cosima (Tatiana Maslany) right after breaking both of their hearts and ending their relationship for good. The break up isn’t what either one want, but Delphine feels it’s the only way she can run DYAD and keep her promise to Cosima to love all of the sister clones equally. When forced to fight for their survival, those parts Delphine mentioned, become essential for the Leda clones as they come face to face with their most personal adversary to date. The frightening yet charismatic Castor clones (Ari Millen).
While each Leda clone tries to deal with their personal lives, Alison (Tatiana Maslany) makes some interesting choices while struggling with a financial crisis and decides to run for school trustee, Cosima attempts to move past her break up and find a cure for her illness, a pregnant Helena (Tatiana Maslany) is captured and used as a test subject because she is only the second clone with the ability to reproduce, and Sarah (Tatiana Maslany) searches for her sister while trying to get to the bottom of the Castor mystery. They eventually learn that the Castor clones may have a defect that puts their lives in jeopardy which in turn makes them unpredictably dangerous. This revelation turns up the heat and the hunt is on for both Leda and Castor to find the original clone DNA that could save all of their lives.
After a shocking discovery reveals that the Castor clones are in fact brothers to the Leda clones, everyone’s world is turned upside down. Sarah comes face to face with Castor clone Mark (Ari Millen) and ultimately helps him against her better judgement because of their family connection. Perhaps making the wrong choice, she is captured by a different Castor clone and brought to the Castor camp where she learns Helena is also being held. Determined to fight back and with the help of Paul (Dylan Bruce), both sisters do whatever it takes to escape, together.
Back at home, Alison and Donnie’s (Kristian Bruun) new money making venture begins to cause them a lot of stress. Not only do they have to worry about the Castor clones and Alison’s overbearing mother, but they have to get money back from an unsavory business deal before they pay with their lives. With the help of an unhinged but well- meaning Helena, they are able to receive all of their money back. Everyone seems to be finding a little happiness. While Sarah discovers a new blood relative in the form of Mrs. S (Maria Doyle Kennedy), Cosima is learning to trust a new love interest (Ksenia Solo), and Alison has started a successful new business venture with a happily pregnant Helena’s help. Can they hold on to the little happiness they’ve found?
When life finally settles down a bit for the Leda clones and everyone is home safe and sound enjoying dinner together, Delphine comes to talk to Cosima. After a heartbreaking embrace, Delphine utters the words that make this moment feel like a goodbye…
“Give your sisters all my love.” -Delphine
They part ways and Delphine ends up being shot by an unknown assailant in a parking garage while everyone else is enjoying their night completely unaware of what has happened. While it seems to the sisters that things have calmed down for the time being, little do they know no one is safe.
The Cast of Orphan Black:
- Sarah Manning: Sarah has gone through hell to find her pregnant sister and keep the Castor clones at bay. She has discovered that along with Kira, she has another blood relative in her foster mom, Mrs. S, who is actually her daughter in a weird clone world way. She is reunited with her daughter at the end of the season after she believes the danger has subsided.
- Helena: The least likely to be a mother, but also the most perfect for the job. She loves fiercely and protects at all costs. Only she and Sarah have the ability to reproduce because they are twin clones with the same unique gene. Currently working for Donnie and Alison in their store, can she make a “normal” life for the child she is carrying?
- Cosima: After her heartbreaking break-up with Delphine, Cosima puts herself out there and finds love on the internet with Shay. She begins to doubt and question her motives however and that causes problems for the two. Choosing to focus on her science, she works with Scott (Josh Vokey) in order to find the original Castor and Leda clone based on information they found in the book they took from Rachel.
- Alison Hendrix: Alison will stop at nothing to become the next school trustee. She will also do anything to protect her sisters as long as it fits into her schedule. Even if that means impersonating Sarah to fool Ferdinand. Alison finds herself in some financial trouble and stumbles upon a new business venture after taking over the town drug dealer. When her ex- boyfriend comes back in her life, she walks a fine line because she loves the connection she has with him. When he accidentally kisses Cosima who is pretending to be Alison, she realizes it’s gone too far and she has to focus on her husband and building a brand together.
- Rachel Duncan: After surviving getting a pencil through her eye, Rachel is left with a speech impairment and inability to convey her thoughts properly. Not in power as she once was, she will do whatever she can to get it back.
- Delphine Cormier: Delphine breaks Cosima’s heart in order to run DYAD in Rachel’s absence. Not a fan of Rachel she threatens her by squeezing her injured eye socket to find out what the plans are with DYAD. She does whatever she can in order to keep the clones safe, even if that means threatening Cosima’s new girlfriend and questioning her about her past. Protective and cunning, it appears Delphine has her hands in too many cookie jars between her responsibilities and her personal life. She is shot at the end of the last episode and the audience is left to wonder what exactly happened to her.
- Donnie Hendrix: Donnie is left feeling emasculated after losing his job for talking back to his boss. When Alison comes across a new idea to make money, he is not on board at first. After being talked into what a great idea it is, he finally accepts it and moves forward. After a legendary twerking session with his wife, they end up getting into trouble with an unsavory business partner who refuses to give them their money back in order to pay a drug dealer. Donnie becomes the back bone of their new business and builds and unlikely friendship with his sister in law Helena
- Felix: Felix is the heart at the center of the sister clones. He loves without judgement and does what he can to protect each of them. Even if they don’t agree. Felix allows Cosima to stay in his loft while she is recovering from her illness. Felix’s strongest connection to anyone is with Sarah because they were both Orphans. When it’s revealed that Felix is now the only true Orphan, how will his new dynamic fit into the clone club?
- Krystal Goderitch (Tatiana Maslany): The newest Leda clone who isn’t aware of her connection with her sisters. Kidnapped and brought into the act as Rachel while in a coma. Will she learn of her clone connection and become one of the newest members of clone club?
- Kendall Malone (Alison Steadman): The Leda and Castor original who happens to be Mrs. S’s mother. Last seen in Iceland with Sarah and Siobhan waiting to meet her niece, Kira.
- Ferdinand: Powerful cleaner for topside. Has no problems killing if it helps his agenda. A weak spot for Rachel, but he’s willing to be as harmless as possible.
- Castor clone Mark: Prolethean who wants to live a normal life with his wife. First Castor clone to learn they are genetic brothers to the Leda clones. Horrible at times, but willing to do anything for his wife and shows signs of caring about his Leda sisters.
Rest in Peace: Those we’ll miss in season 4 of Orphan Black
- Paul Dierden (Dylan Bruce) Paul died heroically by blowing himself up to destroy the Castor camp along with those insides. His death allowed Sarah and Helena to escape.
- Delphine Cormier: While it’s not set in stone that Delphine has succumbed to her gunshot wound, it doesn’t look good. At the end of the day, she’d do anything for Cosima and was willing to put her needs ahead of her own feelings in the process.
Good Riddance: Those we won’t miss in season 4 of Orphan Black
All the people at the Castor camp. We won’t miss you.
- Castor clone Rudy: (Ari Millen) Held Kira hostage, harassed a young woman with his brother, and luckily Helena killed him before he could hurt anyone else.
- Castor clone Seth: (Ari Millen)) Blindly loyal to his brother Rudy, he would do anything for him. Afflicted by the mysterious illness, he collapses and his mercifully killed by Rudy.
- Dr. Coady: Literally the worst.
What’s Next on Orphan Black:
With the clones unaware that someone Delphine, how will they react and will they find out who did it?
The Orphan Black season 4 trailer opens with an ominous song and someone (perhaps a new clone) running through the woods with a sheep mask. Who is the mystery person behind the mask?
Another preview for Orphan Black season 4 has Rachel saying, “We all need to work better at being family.” Has she changed her selfish ways?